23 August 2009

Movie Review: Bungee Jumping of their Own

(Korean title: Beonjijeompeureul hada)


This movie is incredibly difficult to find outside of Asia, unless you are looking online like at the KMovie Addicts blog which has posted links to the movie online. I saw this first at the Hawai'i International Film Festival. This was followed by a friend being able to find a legal copy of it from Hong Kong. I cried every time I saw it.

The synopsis. In-woo (above) and Tae-hee meet on a rainy night in 1983. They are soulmates and instantly develop a strong bond for another. In-woo and Tae-hee agree to meet at the train station to elope. However, on the way, Tae-hee is killed crossing the street to the train station. In-woo waits and waits and never finds out what happened to her. Seventeen years later, In-woo has a wife and daughter and teaches at a boys' school.


Unbeknownst to In-woo, one of his students, Hyeon-bin (above), is apparently the reincarnation of Tae-hee. Hyeon-bin does not know the existence of his former life as Tae-woo either. However, the story attempts to resolve the questions around homosexuality through the lens of reincarnations. This movie is up in the top movies I've ever watched (of the several thousands I have watched in my life). I hope you are able to find it and enjoy as I have.

It seems like since this movie gay Korean cinema is showing signs of a life beyond tragedy for the cinematic gay.

9 comments:

  1. have not seen a gay film since forever. will have my pirate look for a copy of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow seems really nice. hanap din ako.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a movie with a similar angle wherein one of the lovers is killed en route to their meeting place. The gay angle of Bungee Jumping of Their Own seems interesting though. I hope I get to see this film. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @vg: Send my regards to the pirate, Arr!

    @cb: You must!

    @andy: The movie is 8 years old so it may also be possible that the straight one copied the gay one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wanna see this movie with my partner and see how it goes... he liked slumdog millionaire so im pretty sure he'll like this too... that is if i can get a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i must tell you this: i read your review of "were the world mine" just now. and i fell in love with the trailer. i will tell my pirate to forget about "bungee" and get me this one instead. well, both would be great. actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. everybody was talking about this at the last party i went to.... ako lang hindi nakarelate hahahaha....

    i really need to watch this....")

    ReplyDelete
  8. This movie is one of the uncommon scene in the world....its really great but really sad to get into the homo and one thing love is blind that 1 cannot ignore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im so excited to watch this movie.. grr... nakita ko na ang no regret at hindi ako nag regret.. hope mag enjoy din ako dito... hihi

    ReplyDelete