18 September 2009

Movie Reivew: No Regret

I admit that I saw this movie about a year ago before it was available in the Pacific and the United States. I was a big fan of Korean cinema before it became popular outside of Korea -- more than a decade ago. I loved this movie. Loved loved loved it. It was totally tragic in the Antigone/Agamemnon sense. The duty imposed by custom/tradition and the duty imposed by the heart.


The story is not very complex -- sweet and simple. Su-min, the main character, is an art student who loses his factory job. He decides to work as a prostitute in an upscale gay "host" bar. At first, he resists the overtures of Jae-min, a young wealthy gay guy, but they eventually fall deeply in love. This is fine until Jae-min's family pressures him to get married. Antigone, gay Korean style.

It is a nuanced and well filmed piece. I recommend putting this on the list of to see movies. It is also available at the Malaysian Filem Gay site.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, line of flight! Thanks for telling us your insights about this movie. I've been looking for it in video stores for the longest time and I can't find a copy. Touching on gay issues is rare in Korean cinema, so I really wanted to see how this particular issue will be developed in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i can somehow relate to this... i so wanna see this movie too... i think there is a copy sold in Makati Cinema Square for 40.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this movie and I didn't like it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Peter: its a nice evolution from Bungee Jumping which I wrote about a few weeks ago.

    @parteeboi: wow. 40 lang?

    @james: was it the violent part(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have no regret ng makita ko to and i shared it talaga sa mga classmates ko...

    ReplyDelete