04 November 2009

Movie Review: Down the River

I am not particularly keen on formal movies that only loosely thread a plot to a theme. However, Anucha Boonyawatana's Down the River was lyrical and poetic in just the right way -- at least for how I experienced by own teenage angst. It captured the angst of a young man torn by the demands of society against his own personal truth. It was able to intertwine popular understandings of Buddhist symbolism without sounding trite and was able to avoid losing the point and the plot in the thematic textures. A short hour long film worth watching.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you asked where did I find it.... lots and lots of searching. unfortunately the prolific Malaysian site, filemgay.blogspot.com, doesn't have this particular film. but i will keep looking and post an update if I find somewhere accessible online. (you can also check Greenhills -- you'd be surprised the kinds of obscure gay cinema one can find at the tiangge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Cheap Lots in Samara Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete