09 February 2012

Amnesia, A Series

"As the evolution of the embryonic body repeats its prehistory, so the mind also develops through a series of prehistoric stages." -Carl G. Jung

I could recall, with my working memory, that I had recalled previously that I was recalling something. And in that instant, I looked deep into the abyss: the life as I now live it, have lived it and will have to live it will and has returned to me -- every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small and great in my life returns to me.

The moonless night. The energy from the ocean lapping onto the beach in the form of small waves. The distant chatter of fishermen. I was enjoying the stars, the cool breeze on my skin. Then, near the horizon, a star began moving. It began to move toward me. I was caught in its tractor beam. It continued to approach until I was almost engulfed in its horror. You redirected my attention and then it began. The eternal recurrence recalling I was trying to recall.

A man from Wahgi Valley appeared. He was speaking rapidly. I recognized it as language but I could not readily access its meaning. Was this the election? I then recalled that I had recalled previously that I was recalling something. The life as I now live it, have lived it and will have to live it will and has returned to me. Panic.

I tried to explain it to you and him but my words failed me as I began to speak to you in the language of a man from Wahgi Valley. The look of distress in your face only heightened my sense of panic.

Finally, lying next to me in the sand, I put my arm around you, closed my eyes and began to follow my breath until time returned and began to move forward again. A very long time without time and friendship as my only anchor in the dark, rough seas of that night without time.

--
The Emo Blogger's Happy Blogging Challenge: Amnesia

citybuoy

1 comment:

  1. This here's trippy. Like Saramago on methamphetamines. lolz

    memory's a tricky fucker no? i wonder if anyone's truly mastered it.

    ReplyDelete