11 February 2012

Obsession, A Series

"It is really very similar to being disturbed by mice. Those damned creatures gnaw and nibble all night, and you bang on the wall, and for a time there is peace, and then they start again." - Marie-Louise von Franz

I remained quiet. His breathing had not deeped or regularized and I remained convinced that he wasn't really asleep. But I couldn't be sure. I tried to count the seconds between his exhalations. That didn't work. I couldn't be sure I was counting in equal durations.

I noticed that my own respiration was involuntarily showing signs of excitement. My heart beat was rapid and my blood pressure was elevated -- my sympathetic nervous system was on high alert. Perhaps he was listening to my breathing and counting the seconds between my exhalations. He'd know that I was awake and not asleep and wondering why.

He moved and the side of his hand brushed up against my hand and came to rest next to it. My heart began to race. What is the significance of this? His breathing was still not regular or periodic.

Was this intentional or not intentional? If it not intentional, why would he rest his hand there? Was he completely unaware of his tactile sense or the existential limits of his body and limbs? If it was intentional, what was he communicating to me? What was the significance of this? What was its meaning? His breathing still had not regularized. He wasn't sleeping. I was sure of it.

All along, I just wanted to hold his hand, but I was frozen in a terror of the risk in which such a move was wagering -- if he were awake. I tried to sleep but I couldn't. I would recite the risk such a move would wager and that would give me a moment of respite, until I was again frozen in terror that the calculations were confronting the moment of possibility in the present moment.

Then, he turned on his side and moved closer to me. It would be impossible for him not to notice the wild explosion of activity produced by the neurons in my sympathetic nervous system. I was likely radiating heat like an overheating car engine. But his eyes remained closed.

I tried to sleep but it didn't work. As soon as I felt calm, suddenly I returned to my feelings for him. I was hopelessly in love with my best friend, but was he with me? He had only talked about girls in all these years. But he never had a girlfriend. The ambiguity of it all tore at me as I calculated the different possible arrangements of the facts, the significance and weight of each fact and their meaning in the alternative potential narratives.

But I couldn't bring myself to do anything or say anything except to the small comfort in listening to his breathing and recognizing that it was neither deep nor regular in its periodicity.

I got no sleep that night trapped in my own obsession, happily next to him.


--
The Emo Blogger's Happy Blogging Challenge: Obsession 

The Orange Wit, citybuoy, the spiral prince

16 comments:

  1. falling for your bestfriend is really tough. tsk tsk... but knowing that he loves you in a different way is also a comforting thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. although its must better when your in a long term relationship with your best friend. FTW

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about how anesthesized (?)this post is. it feels like it's that big alien dude from justice league and he's sleeping beside superman and he's good a martian erection or something. lolz

    What was it really like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *got a good martian erection

      damn i hate when i comment when i'm dead tired. my apologies :/

      Delete
  4. considering the main character was in a spacesuit at the time of the happening, i think you've summed it up quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I read it again looking for the spacesuit. lolz

      Delete
    2. i didn't realize this was the Emo Blogger's Didactic Blogging Challenge? rotflmao =P

      Delete
    3. i feel terrible. I had no idea what didactic meant. thank god for google. haha

      okay, srsly will go to bed now. i'll check this page again in the morning. :p

      Delete
    4. i googled srsly and i still don't understand. =) see you later!

      Delete
    5. srsly = seriously. pacute ako mag-comment, bakit ba?

      Anyway, not sure who was doing the didacting (?!) lolz elaborate?

      Delete
  5. This reminded me of Lana Del Rey's Born to Die.


    Don't make me sad, don't make me cry
    Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough
    I don't know why
    Keep making me laugh,
    Let's go get high
    The road is long, we carry on
    Try to have fun in the meantime


    I never had a best friend, so I might never know that feeling, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...however, when you talk of the omg-we're-on-the-same-bed-and-we're-brushing-body-parts aspect, I suppose I have had my share. ;)

      Delete
    2. you and cb really are quick. i don't know if we considered ourselves best friends or boy friends or what during that period. its only many years later that i used that as an abbreviation.

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't it be nice if two men could lay together in the same bed and it wouldn't be so damn scary to admit that there was love in that bed with them?

      Delete
    4. especially if they are both identify as opening gay. lol

      Delete
    5. this is an interesting take on fear. :)

      Delete