28 April 2012

Movie Review: R U Invited?

I had anticipated this movie to be a dud. This was really a case of judging a movie by its DVD cover and actually Oscar Contreras, the pudgy Mexican guy in the foreground, was perhaps the only thing that even made me read the name of the movie "R U Invited? 5 Guys and a Sex Party" Oscar reminded me of my first ex (I have no idea why) since by the end of the movie, his character sort of reminded me of ... me. (That's a whole other subject for an emo blogger challenge at another time.)

The movie starts off slow, actually, really slow. I mean, I have never been to a sex party. Yes, for anyone who thought that I was a true revolutionary, here is your moment for having your beliefs crushed. Although I did organize a sex party for my best friend (and I don't consider anything involving 4 or less people a sex party), I have never participated in one so I was interested to see how it would be represented in Texarkana, Arkansas. It wasn't. But I'm actually glad.

R U Invited? Tackles a number of issues that are apparently relevant to young gay men involving monogamy, the nature of relationships, love, infatuation and friendship. The lack of capital is evident in the production value and the slow start. The closest pinoy version of this movie I can think of would be Kambyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment