06 May 2012

Movie Review: J. Edgar


The only thing that truly surprised me about this movie was that Clint Eastwood was the director. I don't know what I was expecting when I watched this movie. J. Edgar Hoover was gay and because of the time he was born into, the closest he ever got to being intimate with someone he cared about and loved was to hire him as a special assistant for life and to share vacations with him. This is a gay tragedy that I think even GLAAD can support. The tragedy as told in this movie comes not from the nature of the aberrant individual but from the mindless and meaningless pressures of a declining collective consciousness. J. Edgar hoover was an evil man and we can see that when the pathways to the greater expression of the soul are unavailable and are repressed, greatness in its evil forms emerges and that is a tragedy.

This could be a good date movie if you guys are into history/biopic movies. If you know nothing about modern U.S. history, well, it's still a good movie.

6 comments:

  1. me too. the fight scene was particularly brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only major comment i have for this movie is Leonardo's makeup as an old J.Edgar. his face looked like a melting candle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to catch this but they didn't extend the screening! aargh... i didn't know there was a gay angle. now despite my aversion for clint's films, i'm itching to see what this movie's like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @alexa: true

    @cb: watch. this is what emo bloggers did before emo or blogging. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review... too bad I ain't got the chance to watch it :(

    ReplyDelete