01 June 2012

Songlines, A Challenge

"There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures."
I cast one more line into the depth of my soul;
There among of the shapes repeating their difference
emerges a pattern, repeated infinitely into the dark
warm, cold depths.
I kick and struggle upward for the air, for the light
against the gentle formless pull downward to the water, to the dark
I struggle and let go
I let go and struggle
Until again the echo of the current overcomes and
I depart from myself 
"May Nature guard you in her deep abysses among the corals and pearls of her eternal seas! When for a holy and sublime end men should need you, God will draw you from the breast of the waves…"


Challenge II: Songlines



Sampaloc Toc

Spiral's Eye

7 comments:

  1. It's like writing about death and resurrection, emotions bottled all inside, then just bursts open at that perfect turning moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say that when something perish, another thing is being recreated. You always leave me fascinated every time I read your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it out loud. I feel like I should be marching somewhere. :)

    I wonder what this would look like if translated to a different type of literature...

    ReplyDelete
  4. rei/LJ: thank you.

    cb: i don't know if that were possible. of course Shakespeare is in iambic pentameter while Rizal is translated from Spanish so i guess anything would be possible -- to put Shakespeare in to late 19th century Hispanic prose and Rizal into 16th century Elizabethan iambic pentameter? (or were you referring to my original contribution in the middle? lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking more of a different form. Like how would it translate to a vignette or an actual song. Would it still look the same if it were a play? I'm not sure why but I'm thinking the content in this is just bursting at the seams!

      Delete
  5. It reads like a verbal narration to a dance, LOF.

    ReplyDelete