20 August 2012

Movie Review: Sebastian

Somehow I missed this film when it came out. I recall later hearing about it but never watched it. It's a Norwegian film about a Swedish boy in Sweden coming out in the middle 1990s. In the middle of the movie, Sebastian (on the left there) kisses his friend Ulf (Swedish Taylor Lautner look-a-like). In all the synopses I had read, it seemed like that's where the craziness was supposed to start, but actually it all started in the scenes leading up to the kiss. In a post-gay digital world, I wonder if the person have a gender crisis isn't the putative straight Ulf (Swedish Taylor Latner look-a-like).

I'm just not sure if Svend Wam had this experience or wanted this experience but there is something about the parents and friends response that seems inconsistent with Sebastian's fears and complexes. I can't really put my finger on it -- nor was it interesting enough to really think through. I would put this at the very beginning of a long line of easy going coming out stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment