05 February 2013

Movie Review: (A)sexual



I found this documentary to be interesting. I recall once like twenty years ago telling this old queen from a remote barrio in a distant province that his GLB that he changed to GLBT and then LGBT should really be LGBTXYZ. He thought my joke was funny but that LGBT had covered just about everyone it could, until shortly before his death, LGBT activists who, some had appended Q, included I. He told wrote me saying that he thought I was likely to be right with my XYZ although only the Z space was left. I replied that the XYZ should always remain at the end as a speculation that differentiation of sexual identity would continue, LGBTQIA under this notation system, LGBTQIAXYZ, under my notation system.

Asexual is a identity designation for individuals who have a subjective or objective or both lack of sexual interest. The main individual the documentary focuses on is David Jay who is sort of the international spokesperson on asexuality (and now apparently a researcher on the topic). They also use extensive footage from swankiVY's asexuality youtube archive. It's a shame that they didn't follow her around because I found her to be much more at ease in her asexuality whereas I didn't get that feeling with David Jay.


I am not big on pride parades, etc.,. However, I know that there are many American gay people who find something very satisfying socially and spiritually in annual pride parades and ancillary activities that affirms a sex-positive lifestyle. For any individual to leaflet a pride parade and then feel victimized when individuals there are dismissive, lacks a profound sense of understanding of the historical and present context of LGBTs. As I mentioned in some of the religious oriented studies I've reviewed in this blog, there are a number of Christian ministries that advocate asexuality as an alternative to homosexuality, bisexuality and transgenderism. I also didn't see Jay leaflet at heterosexual swinger get togethers, etc.,. That difference made it seem that Jay has an issue with homosexuality or maybe sexuality in general as opposed to being asexual like swankiVY.

What I found educational about this documentary and why I'm writing a review is that I thought the working out of the different levels of sexuality (or lack) and the discussion and analysis of it was fascinating. Sexualities are diverse and mulitiplicitous. On that level, it is worth watching. An individual's experience of sexuality through his or her life is so varied and complex, identity feels so limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment