06 September 2013

Book Review: Marital Acts

Jiemin Bao is an associate professor of anthropology at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Although subtitled: Gender, Sexuality and Identity Among the Chinese Thai Diaspora, I think it would have been more appropriately subtitled: identity and women among the thai, chinese thai and the chinese thai diaspora.

I have to admit that my interest in the Chinese diaspora -- in Thailand -- is not incredibly high. I have read a number articles and chapters on the Chinese diaspora in Southeast Asia, the Chinese diaspora in Asia and in the U.S. There was some overload here, I have to admit. But on the other hand, I got a lot of interesting information about how we make the world through the eyes of Chinese Thai.

I'm always surprised how patriarchy works to structure people's lives and how wholly unfair it is that women's sexuality is so severely limited while men's sexuality is so severely not. I'm not arguing that men's sexuality needs to be more highly regulated. Rather, there ought to be equality of non/regulation among sexuality in general. With that, there is the need for access to proper medical information, sexual health education and adequate and accessible medicine and medical procedures. The ethnographical information about Thais and Chinese Thai was interesting.

The version I read was a 252 paperback published by the University of Hawaii Press  (November 1, 2004), ISBN-13: 978-0824828790. It is written in English. The lowest price I found online was used at abebooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment